I adapted this recipe from one I found online, to create a fluffy, buttery, easy white cake.
Will make one 9" x 13" single layer, two 8" rounds, or a good number of cupcakes (number will vary on size of your tins).
¾ cup butter, room temperature
1½ cups white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon + ½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Prepare your pan(s) with butter and flour or paper liners for cupcakes.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together in a medium mixing bowl.
- When light and fluffy, add in the eggs, one at a time and blend until fully incorporated.
- Add the vanilla and mix in.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Add flour mixture in three batches to the butter mixture. Mix each addition just until blended in.
- Stir in the milk, mixing on low speed until the batter is smooth.
- Put batter into prepared pan(s).
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes (20 to 25 for cupcakes) at 350°F. Cake is done when it springs back when touched in the middle.
There's a lot you can do with this cake, you can serve it with a fruit coulis, with a traditional or cooked buttercream, with whipped cream, or covered in a chocolate ganache. Because the cake is just sweet, buttery and vanilla-y, it's a perfect complement to just about any topping.